PDA

View Full Version : Tire and wheel weight

Rich Z
11-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Well, yesterday I rotated the tires on the Jeep and figured I should include the spare in the rotation process. I think I should have weighed the stock Sahara wheel/tire combo, because I believe WEIGHT is going to have to be a big consideration when it comes time to put new tires on and I want to go with something with a bit more aggressive tread pattern.

Getting that spare off the tire carrier wasn't any real bit deal, as it was just a controlled fall after taking the lug nuts off holding it in place. However, putting the tire back ON the carrier is another story completely. Yeah, my age is showing. I had to use a stool to rest the tire on after lifting it half way and change my grip for the next stage to lift it high enough to reach the mounting studs and align the holes in the wheel to line up. I'll tell you, my lower back was really creaking. Honestly, I seriously hope I never get a flat tire while out in the Jeep, because I'm not sure I could lift that tire up by myself to put the flat back onto the carrier.

So yeah, I'm sure there will be some nice big fat aggressively treaded tires that I would LIKE to have, but if the weight is substantially more than what I already have, I will just have to pass on them.

I'm believe the stock Bridgestone tires on the Sahara are 42 lbs. Yeah, some of those Toyos are pretty cool looking but we're talking about a tire that weighs around 70 pounds now. Gulp! Heck, I could probably get crushed and killed just trying to get that sucker down off of the carrier, and never mind about putting the flat one back up on it.

I wonder if I could lighten them up a bit by putting helium in them? :)